At our Naples & Lehigh Acres Pawn shops we see a lot of platinum jewelry. In fact, the old time estate pieces we receive are often forged of platinum and are usually amongst our favorites. They are usually unusual diamond cuts and have some interesting character to them you don’t find in modern jewelry.
Platinum is a very unique metal unlike gold or silver. We dug up some pretty interesting and generally unknown facts for you!
- The US Bureau of Standards uses platinum weights because they never tarnish and therefore remain the same weight forever.
- 1/2 the platinum mined in the U.S. goes into your cars catalytic converter to stop smog.
- The name platinum comes from the Spanish word “platina” (little silver).
- The 530 Carat “Star of Africa” diamond is set in platinum.
- Platinum is considered a “Noble Metal” as it has been used as a currency, it is rare, it lends itself to jewelry making, and it is considered beautiful.
- Platinum is commonly being used to treat cancer.
- Missile nose cones are coated with platinum due to strength and non-corrosiveness.
Modern platinum jewelry has come to be known as the top of the line highly prized metal. From engagement rings to designer diamond bands, you can find just about any type of jewelry crafted from it.
With spot platinum prices around $849 per ounce it might be a good time to get yourself some nice jewelry. Platinum is much rarer then gold but at the moment trading about 25% less expensive.
If you have platinum or other precious metal jewelry and would like a quote, bring it in to one o four two locations and let us take a look and make you an offer.
889 Airport Road South, Naples, Fl 34104 | 239-434-7296
1331 Homestead Rd N, Lehigh Acres, FL 33936 | 239-369-2274
We look forward to meeting you!